File Investigator TOOLS requires a Trial or Purchased Registration Key in order to function. Otherwise, it will simply close when you try to use it. If you have not yet obtained one of these keys, then fill out our trial request form for one. Once you have a registration key, follow the steps below to download and install the software.
1. Download FI TOOLS
1. Download FI Tools from the downloads page.
2. Press the Run button in your browser’s download window, or the Save button to run it later.
3. Press the Run button in your browser’s Security Warning window.
2. Install FI TOOLS
1. Press the Yes button in the User Account Control window (Vista, Widows 7 & 8)
2. Press the Next > button to continue the install.
3. Read the License Agreement, select the I accept the agreement option, then press the Next > button.
4. Select the File Investigator component, then press the Next > button.
5. Enter the folder to install File Investigator in. (default is C:\Program Files (x86)\FID3)
6. Press the Next > button to continue the install.
7. De-select the Profiler Portable icons unless you are also installing that product. Then, press the Next > button.
8. Press the Install button after you have confirmed that all of your selections have been recorded correctly.
9. Read the README information, then press the Next > button.
10. Press the Finish button.
3. Enter Registration Key
1. Locate File Investigator on the Windows Start menu (located in the FID3 program group), and select it.
2. Select the Tools >> Options… menu item.
3. Select the Registration tab.
4. Enter the key in the Enter/Edit Key field.
5. Press the Add button.
6. Press the OK button.
If you have any trouble with these steps, or in using this product, please contact Technical Support for assistance.